There are many employment opportunities in the field of dental hygiene, since many dentists employ one or more dental hygienists.
- Dental hygienists are in demand in general dental practices, as well as in specialty practices such as periodontics or pediatric dentistry.
- Dental hygienists may also be employed to provide dental hygiene services for patients in hospitals, nursing homes and public health clinics.
- Depending upon the level of education and experience achieved, dental hygienists can also apply their skills and knowledge to other career activities such as teaching dental hygiene students in dental schools and dental hygiene education programs.
- Research, office management and business administration are other career options.
- Additionally, employment opportunities may be available with companies that market dental-related materials and equipment.
There are numerous specializations courses, in different areas of Dental Care, available worldwide M.Sc., M.Phil. and PhD programs are also options available for a graduate pursuing higher studies. Dental hygienists are also eligible to apply for the foreign and local scholarships for higher studies offered by the Higher Education Commission, Govt. of Pakistan.